I’m a lover of many things “old school” and recently posted 25 songs I consider hits from 1980 and prior. Despite my best efforts, I missed a few and revised it to 30. (Click here to see that list!) Still, I felt the need for a 1979-1989 version to cover my school days. What would the 80s have been without those basement parties?!
Remember the days where you could decide between records and cassettes, and recording songs off the radio was a thing? When delivering slow jam tapes with smooth transitions could get you a date, and passing notes was a way of life. No texts, emails, or two-way messages allowed. These songs are from those days.
This time I tried to limit myself to 40 and ended up with 50, in no particular order. Rather than all songs, you’ll see a few artists listed. Why? Because Michael Jackson, Prince & Luther Vandross, that’s why!
Finally, if you find yourself writing your number on a slip of paper and passing it to someone you think is cute, I’m not responsible.
Lisa’s Old School Hit List (1979-1989)
- True, Spandau Ballet
- Take Your Time, The S.O.S. Band
- Stomp, The Brothers Johnson
- Back Down Memory Lane, Minnie Riperton
- I Just Wanna Hang Around You, George Benson
- Love Come Down, Evelyn “Champagne” King
- Never Knew Love Like This Before, Stephanie Mills
- Endless Love, Diana Ross & Lionel Richie
- Is It A Crime, Sade
- Portuguese Love, Teena Marie, w/honorable mention Fire & Desire, ft. Rick James
- You’re Number One (in My Book), Gladys Knight & The Pips
- Love, Need and Want You, Patti LaBelle
- Wonder if I Take You Home, Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam, ft. Full Force (or All Cried Out!)
- Special Lady, Ray, Goodman & Brown
- Oh Sherrie, Steve Perry
- Human, Human League
- Drive, The Cars
- Don’t Stop the Music, Yarbrough & Peoples
- Don’t Look Any Further, Dennis Edwards, ft. Siedah Garrett
- We’ve Only Just Begun, Glenn Jones
- Too Hot, Kool & the Gang
- Baby I’m Scared of You, Womack & Womack
- Ebony Eyes, Rick James, ft. Smokey Robinson
- One on One, Hall & Oates
- Old Friend, Phyllis Hyman
- Choosey Lover, Isley Brothers
- Say Yes, Lakeside (Fantastic Voyage!)
- Overjoyed, Stevie Wonder
- On the Wings of Love, Jeffrey Osborne (& Crazy ‘Bout Cha & We’re Going All the Way)
- You Are, Lionel Richie (& Truly)
- Sunshine, Alexander O’Neal
- How Do You Keep the Music Playing, James Ingram & Patti Austin
- I Call Your Name, Switch
- I Like It, DeBarge
- After the Love Has Gone, Earth, Wind & Fire
- Atlantic Starr, Circles
- The Glamorous Life, Sheila E.
- Through the Fire, Chaka Khan
- Don’t Stop (Ever Loving Me), One Way
- Straight From the Heart, Con Funk Shun (& Baby I’m Hooked)
- Computer Love, Zapp
- Cool, Morris Day and the Time (& Gigolos Get Lonely Too)
- Holding Back the Years, Simply Red
- Outstanding, Gap Band
- Loving You, O’Jays
- Are You Single, Aurra
- This is For the Lover in You, Shalamar
- Prince (pick any one, like Little Red Corvette)
- Luther Vandross (again, try and pick one: A House is Not A Home?)
- Michael Jackson (one? yeah right! Human Nature?)
Feel free to comment your favorites from this time period!
You probably have 40 of my top 50 old school and 10 I’m unsure of.
Yes!!! Glad to hear it!!
Thank you so much, sister friend, for the best playlist ever!!!
Yippee! I’m glad you approve!
Thank You Lisa!!!
Your list sent me on the path via Youtube, in search of some tunes….and there began my “Calgon take me away moment”…ooops…..I mean hour 🙂
Regarding song #5 – I think you might enjoy this version with a little Latin Soul 🙂
I DID enjoy it! I’d never heard that one before. Thanks for sharing!!